A Housing Counselor uses their independent decision-making skills to provide counseling and education services related to housing. They're working with clients to give them guidance on pre-purchase, foreclosure prevention, financial coaching, homebuyer education, and eviction prevention.
With their compassionate and engaging advice, they help people make informed decisions that will benefit their current and future housing situations. A Housing Counselor with HUD certification is trusted to deliver the best possible care for their clients. Put simply, a Housing Counselor, they are truly making a positive difference in the world.
1. Assess and evaluate clients’ housing needs and provide related counseling services.
2. Provide targeted counseling and education services to clients to help them make informed decisions about their housing needs.
3. Help clients develop individualized housing plans to meet their needs and goals.
4. Provide pre-purchase counseling to prospective first-time homebuyers.
5. Facilitate group housing education workshops on financial capability, foreclosure prevention, and tenant rights.
6. Develop and maintain relationships with external partners to provide housing and financial resources to clients.
7. Utilize HUD-certified housing counseling software to track and monitor client progress.
8. Develop and maintain a database of available housing resources to refer clients to.
9. Assist clients with the preparation of documents to apply for rental and home purchase assistance programs.
10. Assist clients in applying for and negotiating loan modifications to prevent foreclosure.
11. Analyze and evaluate credit reports, financial statements, and other financial documents.
12. Provide financial capabilities coaching to clients and assist them in developing a budget.
13. Monitor and evaluate client progress in achieving housing and financial goals.
14. Maintain client confidentiality and comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and codes of ethics.
15. Stay up-to-date on housing, financial, and legal developments and regulations.
16. Prepare and submit periodic reports on counseling activities and outcomes.
17. Develop and implement marketing strategies to promote services to the community.
18. Create and deliver presentations to community groups and organizations.
19. Participate in community events and activities to promote services.
20. Develop and maintain relationships with local service providers and other stakeholders.
21. Attend meetings, conferences, and training events to stay informed on best practices.
22. Respond to inquiries from clients and other stakeholders in a timely manner.
23. Develop comprehensive knowledge of relevant housing programs, policies, and resources.
24. Assist with other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
25. Foster a welcoming and supportive environment for all clients.
1. Possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
2. Ability to work with diverse populations.
3. Ability to provide assessment and counseling services to clients.
4. Knowledge of affordable housing programs and resources.
5. Knowledge of HUD counseling requirements and certifications.
6. Ability to provide guidance and support to clients.
7. Ability to develop and deliver educational programs.
8. Ability to develop and maintain budgeting, debt management, and financial planning skills.
9. Knowledge of local, state, and federal housing laws and regulations.
10. Ability to work with government agencies, lenders, and other organizations.
11. Possess strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office, databases, and other software programs.
12. Ability to research and analyze data and prepare reports.
13. Ability to collaborate and develop relationships with community stakeholders.
14. Ability to provide guidance and support to clients in the tenant-landlord relationship.
15. Ability to develop and implement strategies to help clients navigate the housing market.
16. Ability to maintain client records and documents in accordance with established procedures.
17. Knowledge of housing programs and initiatives to help clients secure and maintain affordable housing.
18. Ability to assess housing needs using financial and other criteria.
19. Ability to develop and review contracts and agreements for housing transactions.
20. Ability to provide advocacy and case management services to clients.
21. Ability to evaluate credit and debt profiles and provide related counseling.
22. Ability to provide guidance on homebuyer education programs.
23. Ability to develop and execute foreclosure prevention strategies.
24. Ability to provide housing-related referrals and resources to clients.
25. Ability to develop and implement outreach and educational initiatives.
1. What made you decide to pursue a career in housing counseling?
2. How have you utilized your housing counseling skills in the past?
3. What has been your most rewarding experience working as a housing counselor?
4. What strategies have you used to help clients with pre-purchase counseling?
5. How have you helped clients with foreclosure prevention/intervention counseling?
6. What methods do you use to help clients improve their financial capabilities?
7. How have you helped clients become informed homebuyers?
8. Describe a scenario in which you successfully prevented a client from being evicted.
9. What challenges have you faced in your work as a housing counselor?
10. How have you remained up-to-date on current housing trends and regulations?
11. How do you ensure that clients are receiving accurate and reliable information?
12. How do you foster an environment of trust and openness with your clients?
13. Describe a creative approach you’ve taken in helping a client with their housing needs.
14. What techniques do you use to help clients who are facing financial hardships?
15. What strategies do you use to help clients understand their housing rights?
16. How do you handle situations when a client is resistant to change or unwilling to follow through?
17. How have you helped clients develop a plan for their long-term housing goals?
18. Describe a situation in which you successfully defused a difficult or tense situation with a client.
19. How do you ensure that clients are receiving the highest quality of service?
20. How do you ensure that clients are aware of all of their housing options?
21. Describe how you help clients build their credit and save for a down payment.
22. How do you help clients identify and address potential housing-related issues?
23. How have you used data and analytics to improve the quality of your housing counseling services?
24. What strategies do you use to help clients with budgeting and financial planning?
25. How do you help clients develop a comprehensive understanding of the home-buying process?
26. Describe a situation in which you successfully negotiated with a landlord on behalf of a client.
27. What methods do you use to help clients navigate the complexities of the rental market?
28. How have you helped clients access and utilize housing assistance programs?
29. What strategies do you use to keep clients informed about changes to housing regulations?
30. How do you ensure that clients are taking full advantage of available resources?
31. Describe a situation in which you successfully helped a client find affordable housing.
32. How do you ensure that clients are aware of their rights when it comes to landlord/tenant issues?
33. How have you helped clients develop a plan for long-term financial stability?
34. Describe a situation in which you had to adjust your strategy in order to meet a client’s needs.
35. How have you helped clients identify and address potential housing-related risks?
36. How have you used technology and data to improve the quality of your housing counseling services?
37. Describe a situation in which you successfully identified and addressed a client’s housing-related challenges.
38. What strategies do you use to connect clients with resources and support services?
39. How do you ensure that clients are getting the most out of their housing counseling sessions?
40. How have you helped clients develop a plan to become financially self-sufficient?
41. How do you ensure that clients are taking full advantage of available housing assistance programs?
42. How have you used data and analytics to identify potential housing-related risks?
43. Describe a situation in which you successfully helped a client make an informed decision about their housing options.
44. What strategies do you use to help clients become informed and knowledgeable about the home-buying process?
45. How do you ensure that clients are aware of their rights when it comes to landlord/tenant issues?
46. Describe a situation in which you successfully negotiated with a landlord on behalf of a client.
47. How do you ensure that clients are receiving the highest quality of service?
48. How have you helped clients access and utilize housing assistance programs?
49. How have you helped clients develop a plan for their long-term housing goals?
50. What strategies have you used to help clients with pre-purchase counseling?
The average income of housing counselors across the United States is around $42,273 annually, as of February 27, 2023. Yet, Zippia reveals that these professionals receive an average yearly salary of $78,730 and $37.85 per hour. Reports collated by Glassdoor suggest that the typical compensation for a Housing Counselor in the US is $43,976 per year, while Payscale states the average salary of a HUD-Certified Counselor ranges between $36k to $59k with an estimated mean of $44,342.
Real Estate Consultant
Affordable Housing Advocate
Foreclosure Prevention Specialist
Housing Assistance Coordinator
Tenant Rights Advocate
Home Equity Specialist
Reverse Mortgage Counselor
Community Development Advisor
Housing Program Coordinator
Debt Management Counselor
Home Improvement Consultant
Senior Housing Specialist
Energy Efficiency Consultant
Urban Planning Advisor
Home Safety Inspector
Environmental Sustainability Coordinator
Rural Development Specialist
Homeless Services Coordinator